So last night as I was making that Shrimp & Spinach salad, I noticed that my strawberries were starting to look a touch over-ripe.
Letting strawberries rot is sacrilege as I see it. So instead, I’ve extended their life by making Strawberry Rescue sauce.
In a saucepan,
- Put 1 tablespoon of sugar for every 100g of strawberries you need to rescue.
- Pour enough vanilla extract in to wet the sugar.
- Add the washed and hulled strawberries.
- Cook over a high heat only until they’ve rendered a red juice. allow to cool.
- If your strawberries were in particularly bad shape and you were only able to salvage bits of them, turn this into a coulis by puréeing the cooled sauce. This works brilliantly over ice cream.
- This is a lovely topper for a piece of bread or a scone.