Alright people… is there anything more ostentatious than foie gras? Problem is, it’s mighty tasty too. What’s a person to do?
Here’s my substitute:
- Empty a pack of chicken livers into a pot.
- Cover with sherry (a good Xeres does well for this)
- Add a pinch of salt. Cook over high heat until the livers are pink on the inside (they’ll continue to cook for a little while even off the heat.)
- Put in a food processor with an equivalent weight of cold butter. Zizz until liquid.
- Pour into a suitable container and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve on melba toast.
About 10 minutes all told, for about 1/10th of the price of a foie gras.